Medications are utilized for diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment and disease prevention. The pharmacists and technicians of the Pharmacy Services department are responsible for providing pharmaceutical care for patients at Memorial Hospital. Their services include dispensing pharmaceuticals in accordance with federal and state regulations, inventory management, therapeutic drug monitoring, patient-drug assessment function, record-keeping and clinical documentation, drug information services, and quality assessment/performance improvement functions. The staff works closely with physicians and nursing staff to ensure correct medication utilization and is available to counsel patients concerning the medications that have been prescribed for them.
Pharmaceutical services are provided for a wide range of patient types including, but not limited to, medical, surgical, pediatric, newborn, psychiatric, OB/GYN, geriatric, oncology, renal, Emergency Department, Home Health, and Industrial Medicine. Specific services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Preparation and dispensing of medications
- Mixing of IV solutions
- Maintaining individual patient profiles
- Determining medication incompatibilities
- Checking for patient drug allergies
- Counseling patients on take home medications
- Medication utilization evaluation
- Monitoring medication-related incidents and adverse drug reactions
- Pharmacokinetics consultations
- Renal dosing of selected medications
- Anticoagulation dosing service
- Medication regimen review
- Inservice education preparation and presentation.
Hours of Operation
The inpatient pharmacy is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.